Sunday, December 4, 2016

Ready or Not!

I've thrown surprise parties, I've been to surprise parties, and I've even had people surprise me. Yesterday was the first time I got a surprise party! Not only was I overwhelmed with love and gratitude, but I also learned some stuff along the way!

The day as I knew it had two parts. Part 1 was the Apple Annie Craft fair at my church with my aunt Susan (my sisters and I call her DeDe). The transition was to be picking up my new Christmas tree from my friend Marcia!!!  From there I was having my friend Cindy over to help me decorate my first adult Christmas tree, make Christmas cookies, and watch Christmas movies!!! It was going to be great! 

Yesterday morning my friend Jess texted me inviting me along to her Christmas decorating day. She even said she was going to bring me a wreath! You're thinking this was part of the surprise, right? Nope! That was just got icing the cake! I'm unceasingly blown away by the generosity of those around me. 

DeDe and I were having a nice time at the craft fair, buying some sweet gifts. There were some decorations, but I felt very strongly that I wanted to have my tree be the start and go from there. I didn't want to overdo it. Ha!

It was time to pick out the tree. More generosity. My friend Marcia got a new tree and wanted to let me have her old one! Wow! Abundantly blessed. We get to Marcia's and her daughter helps us get it in the car. I can tell DeDes worried about getting it up the stairs. She says we should wait for Cindy. At one point, Dede pulls Marcia over to the side. I was suspicious but figured it was just that she had lots of decorations for me. Like I said I didn't want to overdo it. 

Next we hit the Dollar Tree. We are moving at a snail's pace. DeDe knew I was irritated. Cindy would be getting there soon! Didn't she get that?

We get to my apartment. Take up the bags. Cindy texts that she's here. Great! I knew DeDe was worried about the tree. The Three of us get the tree upstairs. I see a bag that I've been suspecting. Then DeDe says, "Well it's from your mom and Leigh Anne..". LEIGH ANNE? How does she know Leigh Anne?!!!! Cindy then tells me they're surprising me and that Leigh Anne and her mom are outside!!! They tried to get other friends to come too, but no one else could make it. I am BLOWN AWAY!!!


In come Lil and Leigh Anne with more surprises and decorations. The pictures say so much. Awe and amazement and joy! 

So began ornament crafting, tree assembly, trimming, love, and laughter. Lil was kind enough to get extra supplies and food!

Jess, who like I said knew nothing of this, came by with my beautiful wreath, which added to my merriment!

So what did I learn along the way?

1. Don't be so quick to rush the moment. I was getting frustrated with DeDe when she was trying to stall to bless me!
2. It's okay to overdo it sometimes! Um, Alison, you overdo it a lot! You're right, but I don't always receive others overdoing it for me!

3. "But I don't have food to serve them!" This is what I thought as the reality of yesterday's surprise set in. Hey! That's ok. See, I've been dying to have a housewarming party. But I've been waiting for it to be JUST RIGHT. First I needed to get settled. Then I needed stuff on the walls. Now I want my balcony set up. You know what? I can't wait for it to be totally ready. There will always be something. Yesterday was perfectly warmed!!! It was the tree trimming, housewarming with people that I love dearly! So incredibly blessed and grateful. 

Yes, there will be more gatherings, ready or not! That's the whole point of me living here!

No comments:

Post a Comment