Sunday, January 11, 2015

New Creation

"I am not ashamed, I'm a new creation. I am not ashamed anymore."

These words opened a Church service I attended Sunday morning. God, as only God can do, so beautifully timed this one. The morning of this service was my final weigh-in for the first 30 Day Challenge. I nervously stepped on the scale, knowing I was feeling sluggish and that I had indulged a bit much the week before this. Yes, the sweet tooth reared its ugly ahead and I had gained a pound that week. I could say it was the day or that I was sick and on medicine. Nope, I'm going to own it. I had more treats than I did exercise.

Danny's mantra is "Lose Your Quit", and I'm not gonna let this setback go any further. After all, in the big picture, I did awesome last month and I've had great success in the last year!

Back to the Church service...

Author's Note: This is a reflection on the Creation story in Genesis. I think God is speaking regardless  of whether it was a day as we know it or an allegorical day. Please read it for the point God was making.


The Pastor was preaching on the Creation story in Genesis 1. He was going through the account day by day, reflecting on the significance of each day's creations, as well as the parallels to our own lives. What really resonated with me were Days 3 and 4, not only what was created, but also in the sequence and the way God had to FINISH WHAT HE STARTED.

The third day is when the water gathered into a basin to separate the ocean from the dry land. Then He brought forth vegetation and fruit. Whew! Busy day! The Pastor reflected on the stormy chaos that day must have been, and yet the earth needed to come out of the water to be able to have the FRUIT. Then, as it was in Hebrew culture, the day started in the evening, so we head into the fourth day. God called into Creation the "lights in the dome", or the Sun and the Moon in the sky, to illuminate the Earth and separate day from night. We have seasons and years because of the fourth day.

What if God had stopped with the third day? What if He looked at it and said, "What a stormy, chaotic mess. I quit." He didn't quit! He kept going! Because He kept going, we have the Sun and Moon, the sources of light, seasons, and time! God went on to create beasts, animals, and ultimately, humanity! Oh, and it was ALL GOOD!

I can tell you another time I know God finished what He started. He had just allowed His only Son to be betrayed, tortured, and Crucified! Imagine if He had thrown in the towel with Good Friday. There wouldn't be an Easter Sunday!

If you know me, you know I don't really know the meaning of "can't". I'm more likely to burn the candle at both ends or run something over before it is going to stop me. That could be a post in and of itself. Focusing on the weight loss, however, what if I'd quit when someone told me that without Personal Training, I'd fail? What if I thought 6 pounds and a fabulous dress was enough? What if I lost hope when I plateaued or gained? I wouldn't be here and I wouldn't be me.

I'm a work in progress. I'm a new creation. God will finish what He started and so will I.


No comments:

Post a Comment